|(Pic Source: istock)|
These are the top 10 features or truths of a marriage that I believe no one can deny.
1. Fun marriages are long marriages – When you have a lot of fun in your marriage you’ll find it lasts a whole lot longer. Everyone wants to be happy and a way to be happy together is to have fun together.
2. Touch is important – People tend to relate touch to sex, but there are many other non-sexual ways to touch someone. No matter what you relate the touch to you can’t deny the importance touch plays in a healthy marriage. From warm hugs, to appreciative pats, to loving kisses, all touching is important. It can be anything from an intimate touch to just a hand shake.
3. Couples bond through similarities – Every couple needs to have some things in common and some similarities. Having this common ground provides a great foundation to build on and helps retain the mutual bond you share. Common ground also saves you in times of adversity. Having similar opinions will also help you to create a congenial family atmosphere.
4. But differences keep the spark alive – Just as having some things in common keeps a marriage strong, having some differences is just as important in keeping the fire going. Opposites attract after all. Having different opinions on things may cause conflict from time to time but it also compliments the relationship. The calmness one feels can bring down the impulses of the other. I found it helped in my marriage. While I was more social than my husband, he was able to slow down my impulses and helped guide me.
|(Pic Source: istock)|
7. Your tongue is your most lethal weapon – When asked what people in a relationship hate the most they will often say that they hate the things their partners say during a fight. The most damaging thing to a relationship is often the words we say. Remember that you should always think before you speak.
8. Break helps! – I swear by this. If you take a break from your partner for a few days you realise how important they are to you and appreciate them more. You also appreciate the small things you never noticed before. A break can give you the space and time you need for yourself. When that is out of the way you value your partner more.