Kokum butter needs no introduction when it comes to its immense uses in beauty and skin care. It is widely used in creams, lotions, soaps and body butters and other toiletries. Seeing its numerous beneficial properties, I tried making a DIY body butter using just two ingredients – coconut oil and kokum butter. This DIY is the best Kokum body butter ever. Whats more? Its the easiest and the simplest body butter to make as it uses only 2 ingredients.
Kokum butter is a white colored butter which is a good substitute of cocoa butter. It stays solid and hard at room temperature just like cocoa butter but melts immediately when comes in contact with the skin. It is more moisturizing in nature than most butters available. It contains 80% stearic-oleic-stearic triglycerides that makes it extremely good for skin. Its anti oxidant properties help in regeneration of skin and its ultra emollient properties help in reducing dryness of the skin.
Coconut oil as we know is one of the best things one can use on her skin. I have already written a lot about coconut oil when I made DIY Whipped Coconut Cream. Coconut oil contains Lauric acid that is known for its anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti inflammatory properties. It also contains phytonutrients and polyphenols that are great anti oxidants and support regeneration of skin cells.
How To Make The Best DIY Kokum Body Butter
It is an extremely simple and easy body butter to make that contains only two ingredients or three at the maximum (if you add essential oils). Here are the instructions.
Few drops of any essential oil (optional)
- Melt kokum butter and coconut oil together in a bowl in a double boiler or microwave for a minute
- Let the mix sit and cool
- As the mix begins to solidify, whip it using an electronic blender
- Add few drops of any essential oil of your choice, but this is completely optional
- Your moisturizing kokum body butter is ready
If the mix doesn’t make a fluffy texture, keep it in refrigerator for sometime and whip again. Or else, it might be that it got cooled a little. In that case, place it in a pan in hot water or microwave for 20 seconds or so and whip again. It should attain its fluffy, creamy texture.
Benefits of DIY Kokum Body Butter
- Highly moisturizing because of the two emollients it contains
- Melts immediately as it comes in contact with the skin
- Helps in regeneration of skin cells
- Keeps dryness of the skin at bay
- Made from natural ingredients and thus free from chemicals
- Can be used everyday and keeps the skin moisturized for the whole day
If you do not have kokum butter, you can substitute it with any other butter like shea butter, mango butter or cocoa butter. You can add few drops of Vit. E oil to the mix to increase its shelf life. You can also add few drops of any essential oil of your choice for the added benefits. The essential oils that work best for this mix are – rosemary, lavender, avocado or even rose oil for fragrance.
Try this body butter at home and you will not be disappointed. For any questions, please feel free to ask.