As winters approach, feet begin to suffer. Cracked heels, dry skin and sore feet become a common problem, especially in the colder areas and with age. This is where DIY Cooling & Soothing Sandalwood Foot Cream comes to the rescue. It works in multiple ways. The sandalwood essential oil used in the cream helps in calming the tired feet while Shea butter and Cocoa butter help in keeping the feet moisturized.
We all are aware of the multiple benefits of sandalwood oil. Its advantages are:
- It is a good anti-septic agent
- When applied to skin, it helps in healing of wounds, cracks, warts and sores
- Sandalwood essential oil is anti-inflammatory in nature
- It has cooling and soothing effect when applied on skin
- Sandalwood oil is also considered a good sedative which is why the cream helps in relieving tired and stressed feet
How to make your own DIY Cooling & Soothing Sandalwood Foot Cream
Ingredients required: Sandalwood essential oil, 1/2 cup shea butter, 1/4 cup cocoa butter, few shillings of beeswax
Instructions to make the foot cream
- Melt beeswax, Shea butter and Cocoa butter in a double boiler pan or microwave for few minutes. Beeswax is used to keep the cream from becoming too runny or oily in texture. It acts as a good emollient and binding agent. Shea butter and Cocoa butter are known for their excellent moisturizing properties.
- Within a few minutes, the three ingredients will mix well with each other leaving a liquid mix in the bowl. Let the mixture cool for few minutes. This may take some time – approximately 15-20 minutes. You can also refrigerate it to make the process faster. But remember to check it while refrigeration. Do not forget it in the fridge!
- Add 10-20 drops of sandalwood essential oil. The amount of sandalwood oil depends on your preference. Some people may not like it strong aroma so they can do well with about 10 drops while those like me who appreciate its woody fragrance may add upto 20 drops of the essential oil.
- Add few drops of any other essential oil (this optional). I like to add rose oil in most of my formations because of the toning effect of the rose oil plus its beautiful aroma. You can add any oil of your choice. In fact if you suffer from dry skin, you can add coconut oil, jojoba oil or olive oil as all these three are great emollients.
- As the mixture tends to harden, run it in a blender to whisk it in a cream. After keeping the mix aside for about 15-20 minutes, you will notice that the surface of the mix has begun to harden. This is the perfect time to run it in a blender so as to whisk it to a creamy texture. This is the most important step as the overall texture and consistency of the cream largely depends on this one. Do not blend for long. Just whisk it for a minute first and check if if it has achieved the desired creamy texture. If not, you may blend it for a half a minute more.
- Your cream is ready.
This cream works extremely well as a foot cream.
- It moisturizes your feet
- Relieves them of the stress they have undergone during the day
- Provides a cooling and soothing sensation that is highly relaxing
- Helps in healing cracked heels
- Helps in getting a good night sleep
How to use DIY Cooling & Soothing Sandalwood Foot Cream
Wash your feet with warm water before going to bed. Pat them dry with a towel. Apply a generous amount of the cream on feet and soles. Wear socks (optional). Wake up to soft and supple feet in the morning.
While this cream works perfectly on feet, it can be easily used as a body cream as well. I use it regularly on my feet (sometimes all over body) and also on Pahal’s feet. Needless to say, I am totally happy with its results. It has also minimized Pahal’s feet odor to a large extent.
Do give it a try. For any questions, feel free to ask.