When it comes to anti bacterial properties, the first name that comes to mind is Tea Tree oil. Tea Tree essential oil is known for its high anti-bacterial properties and this is precisely why it is my favorite essential oil.
DIY all purpose anti-bacterial tea tree body balm is a body salve that is multi-purpose in its usage and also moisturizing in nature thus making it a body balm apt for winters. I use it on rough skin, elbows, feet and soles and it works perfectly fine. I also use it on mosquito bites and on Pahal when she complains of itchiness due to dry skin.
Tea Tree oil is not only useful for its anti bacterial properties but also known for its cooling properties. It provides immediate relief from mosquito bites, relieves skin of rashes and also helps immensely in beating dandruff. Among its many uses, tea tree is also used for treating yeast infections, skin boils, cold sores and toenail fungus.
Beeswax helps in binding the ingredients together and helps in giving it the texture of a cream.
Shea butter and coconut oil are great moisturizing agents and make the balm suitable for winters.
All in all, the balm can be used for practically anything – as a face cream, body cream, hand cream, foot cream, to relieve sore feet and also on body to get rid of any kind of rashes.
How To Make DIY All Purpose Tea Tree Body Balm
Here is how you can make the balm or salve at home.
1 tea spoon shillings of beeswax
2 table spoon full of shea butter
1/4 cup of coconut oil
15 drops tea tree essential oil
Microwave or double boiler; blender
- Melt beeswax and shea butter in a double boiler pan or microwave for 1 minute
- As the two melt and become liquid, let the mix cool on its own
- Add coconut oil to the mix
- Slowly pour the tea tree oil drops to the mix
- Blend to make a creamy texture
- Balm is ready!
Tea Tree oil also acts as a preservative on its own so this balm has a shelf life of about 3 months. To increase the shelf life, I’d suggest adding few drops of Vit. E oil.
Benefits of Tea Tree Body Balm
- It is anti-bacterial in nature and can be used on minor cuts or bites
- It helps in relieving chapped skin and heals wounded skin
- It provides immediate relief from mosquito bites
- It can be used as a lip balm or face cream for acne prone skin
- It provides relief from skin rashes and bumps
- It helps in treating minor skin problems
- Apply it on feet to fight odor
This is a multi-purpose balm that helps in more ways than one. I also apply it on forehead before sleeping to catch a cool, light sleep. Since it contains coconut oil and shea butter, it is also moisturizing in nature and can be used freely in winters.
Any questions about its preparations? Feel free to ask.