A bride is the star of the show at a wedding. But, as mother of the bride you will likely also have all eyes on you on the big day. Many mothers want to look good for their beloved daughter’s wedding day. Although mothers may want to look their best, they want to make sure that they do not outshine the bride. Mothers want to look sophisticated and elegant but also age appropriate in their dress.
The best way to ensure you have the perfect dress come wedding day is to shop early and maybe invite your daughter for a shopping spree. Sharing this experience can be some good bonding time before the wedding and can help make sure that you are sticking to her overall vision of the wedding. Here are some of our favorite gown ideas for the mother of the bride to look classy and elegant on her daughter’s big day:
1) Tea Length – The mother of the bride always wants to look classic and timeless, so a tea length dress is the perfect choice to achieve that look. A tea length dress is one that’s hemline falls below the knee but above the ankles. This is a great length if you want to have a more youthful look. This also makes for a great length for those mothers that love to hit the dance floor. The length is inspired by vintage dresses that were worn during tea time. A tea length dress helps create some length for those that are shorter, but for the most part is flattering on most body types.
2) Full-length – A full length dress is a classic look that will look elegant on every woman. Full length dresses can be tricky to find a perfect fit for everyone, so it is best to find one that you feel the most comfortable then have it altered if it might be too long. When you bring in the dress for alteration, you should be wearing the shoes you plan to wear with the dress when you are being measured. This helps make sure they do not cut off more than is needed. Remember, a long dress can always be altered to be shorter but a short dress is likely not able to be fixed.
3) Cap sleeves – Cap sleeves are great for those that want to make their arms look better. Cap sleeves help to distract if you are self-conscious of your arms. They help to make your arms look slimmer and defined. A cap sleeve dress also adds a look of conservatism to dresses with lower necklines.
4) Sweetheart Neckline– If you are looking for a dress that can show off some skin but still looks elegant, a sweetheart neckline is perfect to create that balance. A dress with a sweetheart neckline accentuates your chest and shoulders in a way that is sexy but also classy. This is a great neckline if you want to show off some jewelry. A sweetheart neckline draws eyes easily to necklaces. If you have a custom piece made from diamonds or other precious gems, this neckline is perfect for showing off these extravagant pieces.
5) Wrap Dress – Weddings can be costly for those directly involved. Picking out an expensive dress that you wear for only one night can be a bit difficult to do. However, picking out a dress that is versatile can help loosen those purse strings. A wrap dress is the perfect option for those that want a dress they can wear again and again. Wrap dresses are also flattering for many body types and can be dressed up or dressed down.
As the mother of the bride, you want to look just as beautiful and glowing as the bride. Finding the perfect dress for your daughter’s big day can be difficult but sticking to one of these styles can help you choose the right dress. Ultimately, you want to make sure you compliment your daughter’s look and have an air of sophistication all night long.